Located in the midst of what was once “The Wall Street of the West” this 13-story historic building now houses live/work condominium units retail spaces on the ground floor. The Rowan was designed by John Parkinson and G. Edwin Bergstrom, and built by famed real estate developer Robert A. Rowan in 1911. It was formally home to many of the cities oldest and most prominent law offices and stock brokerage firms during the golden years of Los Angeles downtown area. Deeply rooted in the history of downtown Los Angeles, The Rowan Building is now an icon of downtown’s Old Bank District and key part of the areas resurgence.
There were several highlights to this project. Structurally, we retrofit the building with a major seismic upgrade and installed three new elevator systems. The development called for the installation of over eight hundred new doors and restoration of over one thousand windows, all of which were completed smoothly. Another highlight was the installation of a new window washing system for the building. Working to retrofit a building that was originally constructed nearly one-hundred years ago was very rewarding, and we look forward to further projects of this nature.